B2 First (FCE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Use of English paper in the First Certificate Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge B2 First (FCE First Certificate)
Vocabulary Formation Worksheet 15
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. There is no ______________ to bring food and drink with you but you will save our organisation some money if you do.
2. The ______________ of the dodo from the island of Madagascar was one of the tragedies of the natural world.
3. Native American Indians made numerous ______________ from the bison they killed when hunting.
4. Let's buy two of those ______________ vases and then we'll still have enough money to get the carpet you wanted.
5. Look at the way it stands up to make itself look bigger when it hears a noise. That is a ______________ of that species.
6. The old riverboat museum isn't the only ______________ in the town. We also have a diner dating from the early 1950s which is quite a magnet for tourists.
7. The increase in the ______________ of the main street will mean better parking facilities but pedestrians will have a narrower sidewalk.
8. "Where do you think Susan got to?" "Well, in all ______________, she is with her friends at the pool."