B2 First (FCE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Use of English paper in the First Certificate Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge B2 First (FCE First Certificate)
Vocabulary Formation Worksheet 14
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. Mr. Highton, over a ______________ of the students in this class failed their year-end examination. What can you offer as ______________?
2. Barry is ______________ not to understand what you are talking about unless you explain things very clearly.
3. I wanted some information about your ______________ courses as I will be in the area for about a week. You do offer accommodation, don't you?
4. My mother knows how to cook all sorts of foreign food but her ______________ is Mediterranean cuisine.
5. I ______________ recommend you to go and see that movie. It's the best I've seen this year!
6. Once the office is totally ______________, it should save us a lot of time that we currently spend looking for bits of paper.
7. The research that was carried out was not very ______________ and we can't rely on the results.
8. I've been working on a ______________ to this problem for months. I think I'll just have to accept it can't be fixed.