B2 First (FCE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Use of English paper in the First Certificate Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge B2 First (FCE First Certificate)
Vocabulary Formation Worksheet 14 - Answer Sheet
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. Mr. Highton, over a __THIRD__ of the students in this class failed their year-end examination. What can you offer as __EXPLANATION__?
2. Barry is __LIKELY__ not to understand what you are talking about unless you explain things very clearly.
3. I wanted some information about your __RESIDENTIAL__ courses as I will be in the area for about a week. You do offer accommodation, don't you?
4. My mother knows how to cook all sorts of foreign food but her __SPECIALITY__ is Mediterranean cuisine.
5. I __HIGHLY__ recommend you to go and see that movie. It's the best I've seen this year!
6. Once the office is totally __COMPUTERISED__, it should save us a lot of time that we currently spend looking for bits of paper.
7. The research that was carried out was not very __SCIENTIFIC__ and we can't rely on the results.
8. I've been working on a __SOLUTION__ to this problem for months. I think I'll just have to accept it can't be fixed.