B2 First (FCE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Use of English paper in the First Certificate Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge B2 First (FCE First Certificate)
Vocabulary Formation Worksheet 12
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. When you start work in this restaurant, good hygiene is of the highest ______________
2. We won eleven of our chess matches but then lost the ______________ which was so disappointing.
3. Do you have any extra cushions? This hard chair is pretty ______________!
4. How can I begin to explain what we do here in the company? Well, ______________, we are the people you come to if your windows are scratched and you want them to look new again.
5. I can't decide between the cake and the ice cream. What a difficult ______________.
6. Coming to work on the bus must be ______________ than using that old bicycle of yours.
7. The customs officer asked me to open my suitcase and, most ______________, to show him the contents of my handbag too. But he was very polite.
8. It was freezing at work today. The ______________ broke down and we were all working in our sweaters and overcoats!