B2 First (FCE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Use of English paper in the First Certificate Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge B2 First (FCE First Certificate)
Vocabulary Formation Worksheet 12 - Answer Sheet
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. When you start work in this restaurant, good hygiene is of the highest __IMPORTANCE__
2. We won eleven of our chess matches but then lost the __TWELFTH__ which was so disappointing.
3. Do you have any extra cushions? This hard chair is pretty __UNCOMFORTABLE__!
4. How can I begin to explain what we do here in the company? Well, __BASICALLY__, we are the people you come to if your windows are scratched and you want them to look new again.
5. I can't decide between the cake and the ice cream. What a difficult __CHOICE__.
6. Coming to work on the bus must be __EASIER__ than using that old bicycle of yours.
7. The customs officer asked me to open my suitcase and, most __UNPLEASANTLY__, to show him the contents of my handbag too. But he was very polite.
8. It was freezing at work today. The __HEATING__ broke down and we were all working in our sweaters and overcoats!