B2 First (FCE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Use of English paper in the First Certificate Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge B2 First (FCE First Certificate)
Vocabulary Formation Worksheet 10
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. I spent most of my ______________ on a farm in Wales before the family moved to America.
2. In ______________, I would like to add my congratulations to your daughter and her husband on the birth of their second child.
3. The ______________ of this machine was a local farmer who stayed in the area even after the wealth and fame he found.
4. Your brother made it sound like the show was going to be great. I found it very ______________ and was feeling quite bored by the end.
5. The ______________ climate in these parts does wonders for my health. I could live here all year!
6. We expect these ______________ conditions to continue for at least another 24 hours before things calm down a bit.
7. Many of the houses in this area are considered ______________ and will probably be demolished by the end of the year.
8. The leader of the trade union tried ______________ for re-election before finally retiring after 27 years.