B2 First (FCE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the Use of English paper in the First Certificate Examination is open cloze, in which students use one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge B2 First (FCE First Certificate)
Open Cloze Worksheet 7
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. It was ___________ a long beach that by the time we had walked to the end, it was starting to get dark!
2. I went on the bus to the city with my friend Amy this morning. Unfortunately, the bus was nearly full so we had to stand ___________.
3. Canada ___________ billions of dollars' worth of business with the USA every year.
4. Richard isn't here. He ___________ gone to lunch and won't be back for another forty minutes.
5. We wanted to ___________ up smoking at the same time but Mark was given a pipe for Christmas and feels guilty not using it!
6. The furniture sold for so much money because of ___________ uniqueness.
7. I don't trust the weather forecasters at all. If they say ___________ will be sunny, then I know to expect rain!
8. Let's meet at 8 o'clock for tennis and bring your sister Pattie as ___________.