B2 First (FCE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the Use of English paper in the First Certificate Examination is open cloze, in which students use one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge B2 First (FCE First Certificate)
Open Cloze Worksheet 4
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. When I arrived at the office and saw the boss in such a bad mood, I knew it was ___________ to be a bad day for everyone.
2. Although Herman Tullock's book only came ___________ a week ago, it has already been surrounded by controversy.
3. I am not angry at you because you failed the exam but because I don't think you ___________ your best. Sometimes, it seems as though you don't even ___________ an effort and would prefer to ride around the neighbourhood on your bike!
4. For the first few weeks, you have to do simple jobs ___________ photocopying and typing. Then, when you are used ___________ the office, there will be other things you can do.
5. After arriving at the airport, come out of the main doors and you will see ___________ pedestrian walkway above you. I will meet you there.
6. I wish you wouldn't make ___________ so many stories. I never know when to believe you!
7. You ___________ have come to work today. Didn't you know it was a holiday?
8. We are meeting at 6pm at Tony's house and then leaving for the theatre an hour ___________.