B2 First (FCE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the Use of English paper in the First Certificate Examination is open cloze, in which students use one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge B2 First (FCE First Certificate)
Open Cloze Worksheet 25
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. Sarah couldn't find her keys, so she ___________ to borrow her sister's.
2. The students were excited about their field trip, and ___________ took many photos.
3. The sun rises ___________ the east and sets in the west.
4. The athlete has been working ___________ to improve his performance.
5. He wanted to learn a new skill, so he taught ___________ to play the guitar.
6. The place ___________ they first met was a small coffee shop in the city centre.
7. My friend's birthday party was held ___________ a local restaurant last weekend.
8. I'm not sure where she is. She ___________ be at the gym because she sometimes goes there on Tuesdays.