B2 First (FCE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the Use of English paper in the First Certificate Examination is open cloze, in which students use one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge B2 First (FCE First Certificate)
Open Cloze Worksheet 25
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. They were discussing the book ___________ detail to better understand the plot.
2. I'm not used to driving on the left side of the road, ___________ I find it quite challenging.
3. Mary asked for a pen, so I lent ___________ mine.
4. She enjoys watching comedies, ___________ her brother prefers action movies.
5. In ___________ of the rain, the sports event continued as planned.
6. We're planning to go ___________ a family holiday next month.
7. The company had to ___________ off some of its employees due to the economic crisis.
8. The young girl gave a flower ___________ the elderly woman as a sign of friendship.