B2 First (FCE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the Use of English paper in the First Certificate Examination is open cloze, in which students use one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge B2 First (FCE First Certificate)
Open Cloze Worksheet 24
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. The concert starts ___________ 7 pm, so we need to leave soon.
2. The experiment failed. ___________ we learned valuable lessons from it.
3. What they ___________ have done was communicate their concerns to the manager.
4. The soup was too salty. On the other ___________, the main course was delicious.
5. The books were neatly arranged ___________ the shelf in alphabetical order.
6. John plays the guitar, and ___________, he is learning to play the piano.
7. ___________ she was tired, she continued working on her project.
8. The exhibition is open ___________ the public during the weekends.