B2 First (FCE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the Use of English paper in the First Certificate Examination is open cloze, in which students use one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge B2 First (FCE First Certificate)
Open Cloze Worksheet 12
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. They offered $110,000 for the house even though it is clearly worth well ___________ $140,000.
2. Did you know your fire exit is ___________ use as a delivery entrance? That is against state regulations.
3. The dodo was a very unfortunate bird. It was too trusting of man and, of course, couldn't ___________ fly, so was an easy target for hunters.
4. How could you blame me like that? ___________ other person would have been happy to have a friend like me. You are so unfair!
5. As ___________ as prices are concerned, this part of the old town can prove to be a little more expensive but it is worth a visit nevertheless.
6. The time of the accident is ___________ known at this time but investigations will continue.
7. ___________ Einstein published his theories in 1905, even great scientists had great difficulty explaining some of the fundamental properties of the universe.
8. I want this room looking spotless by 7 o'clock, like it ___________ not!