B2 First (FCE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the Use of English paper in the First Certificate Examination is open cloze, in which students use one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge B2 First (FCE First Certificate)
Open Cloze Worksheet 12 - Answer Sheet
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. They offered $110,000 for the house even though it is clearly worth well __OVER__ $140,000.
2. Did you know your fire exit is __IN__ use as a delivery entrance? That is against state regulations.
3. The dodo was a very unfortunate bird. It was too trusting of man and, of course, couldn't __EVEN__ fly, so was an easy target for hunters.
4. How could you blame me like that? __ANY__ other person would have been happy to have a friend like me. You are so unfair!
5. As __FAR__ as prices are concerned, this part of the old town can prove to be a little more expensive but it is worth a visit nevertheless.
6. The time of the accident is __NOT__ known at this time but investigations will continue.
7. __BEFORE__ Einstein published his theories in 1905, even great scientists had great difficulty explaining some of the fundamental properties of the universe.
8. I want this room looking spotless by 7 o'clock, like it __OR__ not!