B2 First (FCE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the Use of English paper in the First Certificate Examination is open cloze, in which students use one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge B2 First (FCE First Certificate)
Open Cloze Worksheet 1
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. There were very ___________ people at the party when we arrived but half an hour later, it was crowded.
2. How was I to know that she would have an allergic reaction ___________ the nuts in the cake? She should have said something!
3. Arthritis is a very painful ___________ that affects not only the old but also many younger people making many everyday activities difficult.
4. He said he couldn't come to the meeting because of a previous engagement but I think he is just ___________ excuses.
5. You were driving at over fifty miles ___________ hour and the limit here is only forty.
6. I ___________ to go to school now, otherwise I will be late.
7. I can eat almost ___________ type of fish or seafood except for octopus which I can't stand.
8. The city is pretty safe although you may have some problems if you go into certain neighbourhoods ___________ night.