B2 First (FCE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The final part of the Use of English paper is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge B2 First (FCE First Certificate)
Key Word Transformations Worksheet 7 - Answer Sheet
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You must use a minimum of TWO and a maximum of FIVE words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. Jane dyed her hair orange two months ago and it has been that color ever since.
Jane's hair __HAS BEEN ORANGE FOR__ two months.
2. During the film on TV, the phone rang.
While I __WAS WATCHING THE FILM__, the phone rang.
3. Do you have any plans for next Wednesday evening?
What __ARE YOU DOING__ next Wednesday evening?
4. Please don't smoke in this room.
I'd __RATHER YOU DIDN'T SMOKE__ in this room.
5. Everyone thinks that someone murdered Harry.
It __IS THOUGHT HARRY WAS__ murdered.
6. I visited Paris with the idea of improving my French.
I visited Paris __TO IMPROVE MY FRENCH__.
7. I didn't answer the phone, even though I knew it was my husband calling.
I didn't answer the phone __DESPITE KNOWING IT WAS MY__ husband.
8. The weather was beautiful but we never went on the picnic.
We never went on the picnic __IN SPITE OF THE BEAUTIFUL__ weather.