B2 First (FCE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The final part of the Use of English paper is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge B2 First (FCE First Certificate)
Key Word Transformations Worksheet 10 - Answer Sheet
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You must use a minimum of TWO and a maximum of FIVE words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. You should have finished that report, not John!
You __WERE SUPPOSED TO FINISH__ that report, not John!
2. Is this the right bus for San Diego?
Could __YOU TELL ME IF THIS__ is the right bus for San Diego?
3. "Sorry I'm late," Mark whispered as he took his seat in the cinema.
Mark apologised __FOR BEING LATE__.
4. This train is late. It was supposed to arrive five minutes ago.
This train __SHOULD HAVE ARRIVED__ five minutes ago.
5. If you continue to drink, you will get drunk.
__THE MORE YOU DRINK__, the drunker you will get.
6. Bring me the phone book if you happen to find it.
If __YOU COME ACROSS THE TELEPHONE__ book, bring it to me.
7. I have no memory of my first day at school.
I __DON'T REMEMBER GOING__ to school on my first day.
8. I didn't forget to buy the bread. Here it is!
I __REMEMBERED TO BUY THE BREAD__. Here it is!