B2 First (FCE) >> Key Word Transformations Worksheets >> The final part of the Use of English paper is Key Word Transformations. A sentence followed by a key word and a second sentence which has a gap in it. A student has to use the key word to complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence.
Cambridge B2 First (FCE First Certificate)
Key Word Transformations - Answer Sheet
You need to take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the word in bold so that the second sentence has exactly the same meaning. You cannot change the word in bold in ANY way. You must use a minimum of TWO and a maximum of FIVE words for each space. Remember, contractions such as I'm or shouldn't count as two words.
1. Many people think Steve stole the money.
Steve __IS BELIEVED TO HAVE STOLEN__ the money.
2. The strong winds blew down the two ancient trees during the storm.
The two ancient trees __WERE BLOWN DOWN DURING__ the storm.
3. He doesn't have enough money to buy the computer.
The computer __IS TOO EXPENSIVE FOR HIM__ to buy.
4. "You should start a new hobby, Mr. Jenkins", the doctor said.
The Doctor advised __MR. JENKINS TO TAKE UP__ a new hobby.
5. We have been waiting here since half past ten.
We have been waiting __HERE FOR__ one hour.
6. The man suddenly realised that the neighbour was watching him.
The man suddenly realised that he __WAS BEING WATCHED BY__ the neighbour.
7. I could never have passed that exam without your help.
I could never have passed that exam __IF YOU HADN'T HELPED__ me.
8. We paid some people to landscape the garden for us last year.
We __HAD THE GARDEN LANDSCAPED___ last year.