C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Word Formation Worksheet 9
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. Educational TV programmes like this are very ______________ for young children.
2. Ben insisted on his articles being ______________ by editors and left when his boss said that was impossible.
3. I am looking for a ______________ jeweller who will be able to appraise this watch and tell me how much it's worth.
4. Jan Welbech was a reputable physicist until his main two theories were completely ______________.
5. The shark's ______________ is somewhat unfair as fatal attacks are extremely rare.
6. I read a story with the title 'A Strange ______________ At Talbot Bridge', which was about a train-riding ghost.
7. I went on a diet that ______________ only fresh and organic food and I could only drink water.
8. The comedian joked about a plane crash and some in the audience thought he was being ______________.