C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Word Formation Worksheet 8
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. Holidays where people carry out voluntary charity work are becoming ______________ popular.
2. This morning's explosion at a chemical plant resulted in one ______________ and four injuries.
3. We stopped at the church for thirty minutes to pay our ______________ to a local writer who had died.
4. I think a toy gun is a totally ______________ toy for a four-year old.
5. Colin acted with ______________ restraint, despite how angry he must have been feeling.
6. The ______________ of this new department will help the company face the next ten years more effectively.
7. The summer school organised many ______________ for us to do. We were never bored.
8. The mayor was forced to resign after the ______________ at his ill-considered remarks.