C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Word Formation Worksheet 7
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. In ______________ with an ancient tradition, dinner will be served on blue china.
2. It's ______________ rare to see large sharks in the Mediterranean Sea.
3. The royal wedding finished with a ______________ 8-course meal in the evening.
4. Scientists used a simple beetle as the ______________ for their invention of a water-collecting bottle for hot climates.
5. A group of powerful ______________ invested in the new company and made a fortune.
6. Helen Weldon has been totally ______________ an a historian after it was shown she invented quotations.
7. In your ______________, how much money do we need to save in order to buy the house?
8. Parking in the city centre can be a major ______________ due to the narrow streets.