C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Word Formation Worksheet 6
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. It was quite recently that human ______________ was first captured on camera.
2. It was my uncle Clive that provided me with advice and sound ______________ when I was young.
3. The author has a stilted and ______________ style, which I found tough to enjoy.
4. Local planners admit they ______________ the number of tourists that would come for the festival.
5. As is ______________ the case when I go to a restaurant, I ate too much and spent a fortune!
6. It's a hot day today, so take the ______________ of using sun cream and drinking plenty of water.
7. Whatever ______________ are drawn from these results, you can't deny it was a groundbreaking experiment.
8. Mr Hansard was elected President after a ______________ election result.