C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Word Formation Worksheet 5
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. The Age Of Enlightenment was one of great inventions and revolutionary ______________.
2. The judge was forced to acquit, saying the evidence was wholly ______________.
3. The ______________ of the opening of the new bridge continued until nearly midnight.
4. Harry Stevens is the man most often credited as being the ______________ of the hot dog.
5. Can you think of one ______________ reason why I should give you your job back?
6. That the Vikings had horns in their helmets is a common ______________.
7. Local officials were surprised at the scale of the ______________ against plans for a local casino.
8. I agree with the sentiments so ______________ expressed in David's wonderful speech.