C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Word Formation Worksheet 4
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. Though expensive, the ______________ tour we took in Jerusalem was worth every penny.
2. ______________, local police are saying the people they see sleeping on the streets have mental issues.
3. The Lavet Institute fights against ______________ in movies and literature.
4. David Baron's latest crime thriller ends with an ______________ final chapter that keeps you guessing.
5. The true ______________ of spoken language remain an area of fierce debate.
6. The two families fell out after Mr Dawson said Caroline wouldn't be a ______________ wife for his son.
7. It is the bride's father who has ______________ paid for a wedding.
8. I had a ______________ night's sleep. My back was hurting and the storm outside made such a noise.