C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Word Formation Worksheet 31
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. The website's content has been recently ______________ to reflect the latest information.
2. The ______________ rate in the country had reached an all-time high.
3. The strict ______________ of the media in the country has limited the freedom of speech.
4. The security system detected an ______________ in the building and alerted the authorities.
5. The police found compelling ______________ to support the witness's statement.
6. His ______________ of social situations made it difficult for him to make friends.
7. He was ______________ to change his mind, even after hearing all the arguments.
8. The community felt ______________ by the new arrivals in the neighbourhood.