C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Word Formation Worksheet 30
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. The manager ______________ the team's lack of effort during the meeting.
2. The money from the will went to a distant cousin when no other ______________ relative was found.
3. The success of their plan seemed ______________ at first, but they persisted and ultimately prevailed.
4. He seemed ______________ about whether to accept the job offer due to its location.
5. The car accident caused one ______________ and several other people were injured.
6. Having a smartphone has become a ______________ in modern life.
7. The company's ______________ into new markets led to increased profits.
8. After moving out of her parents' house, she embraced her newfound ______________.