C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Word Formation Worksheet 3
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. Large spiders, ______________ from South East Asia, are now being seen in the local countryside.
2. Collecting garden gnomes might seem an unusual ______________, but many people do it.
3. Professor Watkins wasn't only an ______________ to me, but to thousands of others lucky enough to have met him.
4. For someone so young, Carl is a very literate and ______________ young man.
5. The new year ______________ in this area of the country involve dancing and a drink made from melons.
6. The ______________ of the Rubik's Cube peaked in the early 1980s.
7. This musician's work is very ______________ and difficult to understand. Many people say it's just noise.
8. Tom ______________ told us he wasn't coming, then he turns up with two guests! I'm furious with him.