C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Word Formation Worksheet 29
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. The author's cryptic novels were often ______________ by readers.
2. Proper hygiene practices can help prevent the spread of ______________.
3. The author's work has received both praise and ______________ from literary critics.
4. The ______________ of the innovative device became a billionaire.
5. She spoke ______________ about her experiences, moving the audience.
6. She felt ______________ at night, unable to fall asleep.
7. The most significant ______________ between the two cities is the climate.
8. Attending the event was ______________ for all employees.