C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Word Formation Worksheet 28
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. She completed the task ______________ quickly, impressing her colleagues.
2. The species' ______________ allowed it to survive in various environments.
3. The stunning natural scenery served as an ______________ for the artist's paintings.
4. The historical event was well ______________ in various texts, making it easy to study.
5. The family needed additional ______________ space for their growing collection of belongings.
6. The outcome of the experiment was disappointing and ______________ and did not reveal any new insights.
7. She looked forward to her ______________, planning to travel and spend more time with family.
8. The newspaper publishes ______________ updates on local and international news.