C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Word Formation Worksheet 20
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. There was a public ______________ when the new law was announced.
2. The researcher sought to uncover the ______________ of the mysterious artefact.
3. His story seemed ______________, but the evidence proved it was true.
4. The car's design underwent several ______________ before being approved for production.
5. The ______________ are working on groundbreaking research in their field.
6. The ______________ trade of endangered species is a significant global issue.
7. Climate change is a pressing ______________ issue that affects all nations.
8. She expressed her thoughts ______________, leaving a lasting impression on the listeners.