C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Word Formation Worksheet 18
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. Your father is ______________ worried about the scores you've been getting at school.
2. After a difficult ______________, Michael went on to be a successful lawyer.
3. Don't use paper to clear up the water. A sponge will give you much better ______________.
4. Do you understand the ______________ of the bear on this coat of arms?
5. Jacklyn came up with ______________ excuses as to why she was always so late.
6. Everyone thinks Ben is a weatherman, but he's actually a ______________ which is far more advanced.
7. ______________ crime is making living in this city intolerable.
8. Because of the nature of the scandal, the politician had little choice but to offer his ______________.