C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Word Formation Worksheet 17
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. This tree has grown ______________ since I last saw it.
2. You're the boss. You have the responsibility for these errors. You're not ______________.
3. My aunt acted with complete ______________ when I told her I'd seen her husband with another woman.
4. Carbon Dioxide is known to have a ______________ influence on the Earth's atmosphere.
5. Do you agree with the chief ______________ of the report?
6. Every one of your ______________ is wrong. You'll have to go and take them again.
7. The theft of so much money proved both ______________ and embarrassing for the company.
8. There was a huge volcanic ______________ in 1883 in Indonesia.