C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Word Formation Worksheet 16
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. As the disease became more ______________ in the region, a medical emergency was announced.
2. The wren's Latin name, which means 'cave dweller', comes from its ______________ to seek out dark places.
3. The earthquake was so destructive that local maps needed to be ______________.
4. Once the scientists were sure the islands were ______________, they disembarked and began their studies.
5. You can pay funds into this account but that money will not be ______________ for at least a year.
6. The diplomat, as he ______________ is, was humble and polite in the face of unfair criticism.
7. After the accident, the police officer asked if anyone required ______________ attention.
8. At the ______________ of his powers, Alfred Hitchcock was producing a hit movie every year in Hollywood.