C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Word Formation Worksheet 15
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. Shy children can ______________ completely from social contact at school and this only worsens the problem.
2. Who were the most ______________ figures in your childhood apart from your immediate family?
3. Malaria is a serious disease, made ______________ to humans by mosquitoes.
4. I find Charlie's ______________ to talk down to people absolutely infuriating.
5. Despite the number of vehicles involved in the accident, police say there were no ______________.
6. The fraud team looked into every financial ______________ made by the bank since 2007.
7. The teacher was concerned about the ______________ smell in the laboratory and told the students to leave.
8. Gunpowder was ______________ used in celebrations, not warfare.