C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Word Formation Worksheet 14
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. This letter is just to let you know how much we appreciated the ______________ of the donation that you made.
2. Though he'd read ______________ on the subject of ancient Egypt, he couldn’t answer a single question.
3. Would it be ______________ for you if I asked you to pay by credit card?
4. Young people often have a creative and ______________ side to them that they lose as they grow.
5. The hit TV series 'Friends' was ______________ called 'Six Of One'.
6. You've made a lot of wild accusations against Betsy, but is any of it ______________?
7. ______________ children are not permitted to enter the shop without an adult.
8. Caffeine and other similar ______________ shouldn't be taken shortly before going to bed.