C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Word Formation Worksheet 13
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. When Jack Lobato was an ______________ gangster, local politicians would come to meet with him weekly.
2. Local legend says the land is protected by a giant tiger, but few believe in these old ______________ any longer.
3. This boxer is the ______________ champion of the world after this sixth victory.
4. I stretched and stretched, but simply didn't have the ______________ to reach the shelf.
5. Deborah was ______________ furious when she heard the comments that had been made about her.
6. Barry is only four years old and will be ______________ by both his parents for the audition.
7. After hearing his heartbreaking story, we were filled with ______________ for him.
8. The hotel was harshly ______________ for refusing to give refunds and the bad publicity harmed it.