C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Word Formation Worksheet 12
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. The arrival of the summer tourists is very ______________ for the local economy.
2. Graham rushed to sell his house before the end of the ______________ year.
3. If you are over twenty-one years of age, you'll be able to see the ______________ version of the book.
4. The final draft of the treaty included a few minor ______________ to keep everyone happy.
5. If you approached your studies as ______________ as your spare time activities, you'd be going to Cambridge!
6. The tiger is a very efficient ______________ hunter, living most of its life alone.
7. The detective concluded that it was ______________ for the suspect to have made the journey so quickly.
8. Few can match the ______________ of Jack The Ripper, a 19th century London murderer.