C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Word Formation Worksheet 11
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. Harrison Ford wasn't the ______________ choice to play Han Solo in the Star Wars movies.
2. There will be a total solar eclipse at 2.14pm today. Such ______________ are very rare.
3. Even short bursts of physical activity are believed to be very ______________ to health.
4. The ______________ of the town react negatively to crowds of tourists filling the roads and beaches each year.
5. Police are investigating the strange ______________ in street robberies in the west of town.
6. Leyton city council have started towing all badly parked cars in what is a very ______________ move.
7. Conclusive proof that the Earth orbited the Sun was a great ______________.
8. Being so close to the Atlantic, the weather in Ireland is often both changeable and very ______________.