C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Word Formation Worksheet 10
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. Despite injuring his leg near the start of the race, Larry managed to finish a very ______________ fourth.
2. Rory always has plenty of money, but I've never been sure what he actually does for a ______________.
3. What ______________ do you take in the workplace to prevent accidents?
4. The bomb caused ______________ damage to the older buildings in the town and had to be demolished.
5. The road was ______________ closed due to a spilled load of children's toys that created havoc.
6. Though a talented doctor, she found that most skills were not ______________ when she began working as a vet.
7. This new design of the radio ______________ all the best features of our previous model.
8. Maggie is always displaying great ______________ to those less fortunate than her.