C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Word Formation Worksheets >> The third part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is word formation where students use a root such as 'able' and create an appropriate word (disable, unable, ability) to fill the gap in a text.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Word Formation Worksheet 1
For each question, fill the space or spaces in the sentence using the base word given in bold below. The required word may be a noun, adverb, adjective or verb and it may be either positive (e.g. helpful) or negative (e.g. unhelpful).
1. Many people often make a ______________ between London and New York
2. This book ______________ as a series of lectures about shipwrecks, which were given two decades ago.
3. There are power stations across Europe that use the ______________ rise and fall of the ocean tides.
4. If you weren't so ______________ of Ben, he'd be happier to spend time with you.
5. Don't you find it ______________ how Jeremy always comes to work looking so untidy?
6. Doctors say a glass of warm milk before bedtime can result in a more ______________ night's sleep.
7. Tim-Berners Lee has received many awards as the ______________ of the world wide web.
8. On the final day, we visited the ______________ Victoria Falls and then flew home.