C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is open cloze, in which students use one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 9
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
- Margaret was very upset after the dinner last night and that was all ____________ to your rudeness.
- You will get full insurance for this holiday, ____________ you pay now or at the time of departure.
- It wasn't me who said the director had quit, that was the story ____________ to Mark, who knows him very well.
- Carlton's face froze. "It ____________ already be too late," he said and he looked away.
- The mining industry may ____________ spoiling the beautiful coastal landscape in this area.
- Tehran and Baghdad, found in Iran and Iraq respectively, are ____________ the oldest cities in the world.
- Laurence Olivier, or Larry ____________ he was affectionately called, is considered one of the best ever actors.
- The Prime Minister said he didn't want longer prison sentences but he objected ____________ prisoners being released too early.