C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is open cloze, in which students use one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 8
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
- An argument started in the boardroom when one man was asked what he objected ____________ about the new plan.
- ____________ of the reasons for the high absentee rate was an outbreak of flu.
- The security system works ____________ taking a photo of every employee as they enter the building.
- With everything provided here in the hotel, ____________ is no need for any tourists to even leave and visit the town.
- I'd love to indulge ____________ a bit of hill walking this summer. Where do you want to go?
- ____________ being a high quality restaurant, it's also cheap, which is why we come back again and again.
- There are no clean shirts at ____________ in your wardrobe. What are you going to wear?
- The woman got very angry and shouted at her son that he had to go to school, ____________ or not he wanted to!