C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is open cloze, in which students use one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 7
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
- In response to the question, Mary said that as ____________ as she knew, the house was empty.
- I knew there were rabbits in the park, but I've never seen that ____________ of them here before.
- I need the name of the person ____________ car is parked right in front of mine. He's completely blocking me!
- Go down to the building site quickly. There appears to ____________ been a bad accident.
- We've now discovered you were the person who broke the door and in that ____________, we cannot be held responsible.
- This is a great book, ____________ only for those that are geology experts, but also for keen amateurs like myself.
- I don't like ____________ type of spice, but pepper in particular, I can't stand.
- I've read ____________ single book you can see in this room. I think I read three books a week.