C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is open cloze, in which students use one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 4
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
- Job losses at this factory were all ____________ to the fact that the economy did so badly last year.
- Football, or soccer ____________ it's generally known in the US, can truly be called a global sport.
- These are rubies and these ones are sapphires. ____________ stones as these are very valuable.
- I can't believe the ease with ____________ he convinced her to go!
- Looking at these figures, it should ____________ obvious that the company isn't doing well.
- The high tackle in rugby is a serious offence for ____________ the player is usually punished.
- She continued dancing on the table, seemingly unaware or uncaring about what she looked ____________.
- Many animals, foxes and wolves ____________ them, hunt at night and therefore have good vision.