C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is open cloze, in which students use one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 32
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. The artist creates beautiful paintings ____________ mixing various colours and techniques.
2. The rescue animals ____________ housed in a safe and comfortable shelter.
3. The main advantages of electric cars are that ____________ are environmentally friendly and cost-effective.
4. The package arrived earlier than expected, ____________ was a pleasant surprise.
5. The show's success was due to its brilliant cast, according ____________ popular opinion.
6. The author, ____________ I met at the conference, signed my book.
7. The city was known ____________ its delicious street food and vibrant markets.
8. After a long day at work, Jane likes to put her feet ____________ and relax with a good book.