C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is open cloze, in which students use one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 30
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. I've tried ____________ possible solution to fix the problem, but nothing seems to work.
2. The rise in unemployment has now hit the whole country, ____________ means that more people are struggling financially.
3. The new appliance will use even ____________ energy than its predecessor.
4. I have never seen that ____________ people attend a concert before.
5. ____________ all the places we visited, Rome was my favourite.
6. The participants are free to leave ____________ they do not feel comfortable with the activities.
7. She went ____________ and beyond to help her teammates, making sure everyone was successful.
8. ____________ generosity is rarely seen in today's world.