C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is open cloze, in which students use one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 3
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
- It's something of a mystery how ancient bridge builders succeeded ____________ spanning this wide river.
- Are you sure you want to go on holiday to that part of the world, considering all the problems ____________ are right now?
- Life hasn't been found on any planet in the solar system, ____________ from our own.
- The city of Istanbul in Turkey was known ____________ Constantinople until the early 20th century.
- In ____________ to a company car and large annual bonuses, we are also offering help in finding a new house.
- The difficulty with ____________ he managed to speak showed how upset he was.
- I love Lebanese food but what's the country itself ____________? Tell me about the weather, for example.
- ____________ deep is that river? Do you think we'll need a boat to cross it?