C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is open cloze, in which students use one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 29
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. We need to decide ____________ we should move forward with the project.
2. You'll need some chicken for this dish, or actually ____________ type of meat. It works well with pork too.
3. ____________ tall is the building? I need the measurements for my report.
4. Mary will attend the party ____________ she wants to or not because she feels obligated.
5. Drinking and driving is ____________ the law and very dangerous.
6. She didn't enjoy the movie at ____________, finding it boring and predictable.
7. She received a promotion ____________ to her dedication and hard work.
8. She was the CEO ____________ a successful startup before she decided to retire.