C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is open cloze, in which students use one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 28
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. The harsh weather conditions are ____________ blame for the delay in construction.
2. He owns a vast collection of rare books, ____________ of which are centuries old.
3. The Bengal tiger ____________ a type of big cat found in Asia.
4. Having a supportive team is just ____________ of the factors that contributed to our success.
5. The program is designed to help everyone, including ____________ who might not have access to other resources.
6. Take a deep breath and try to calm ____________ and then tell me what happened.
7. She tried to balance her work and personal life at the same ____________ as pursuing her hobbies.
8. ____________ ignoring our advice, you've made the situation worse.