C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is open cloze, in which students use one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 27
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. At the start of the ceremony last night, a bell ____________ rung to signal the beginning.
2. She has ____________ or no patience for people who are always late.
3. ____________ the course of the meeting, several important issues were addressed.
4. The test results showed that the new medicine is ____________ from perfect.
5. As ____________ as twenty students are participating in the volunteer program.
6. The restaurant serves not only dinner but also lunch as ____________.
7. In ____________ to the usual dessert options, we also have a local cake made of almonds.
8. The dessert tasted ____________ tiramisu, it was amazing!