C1 Advanced (CAE) >> Open Cloze Worksheets >> The second part of the Reading & Use of English paper in the C1 Advanced Examination is open cloze, in which students use one word to fill each space in a short text. The required words are usually grammatical, such as pronouns, articles, prepositions, auxiliary verbs and so on.
Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE)
Open Cloze Worksheet 26
For each space, choose ONE word which you think best completes the sentence. Look carefully at the words both before and after each space.
1. She had a heated argument ____________ her boss.
2. They collected funds for the purpose ____________ making improvements to the school.
3. She excels in ____________ aspect of her job, making her an invaluable employee.
4. ____________ being a talented artist, he is also a skilled musician.
5. The movie ____________ she won an Oscar for was a critical and commercial success.
6. The two countries engaged ____________ a long trade negotiation lasting several months.
7. The magician waved his wand and suddenly ____________ it into a bouquet of flowers.
8. Do you know ____________ many calories are in that chocolate bar?